|'Eastern Approaches' 1865. With Chestnut Cottage on the left and the Maltings, Old Forge and Old Manor seen on the right receding in the distance. Not a hint of traffic, but shows a more peaceful, slower pace of life.
|The Street, looking East from near the Old Manor. The date is 1870 and shows the old Maltings in the background.
|The Street, looking West. Taken in 1870. The house next to Jackdaws Ford is just visible.
|Outside the Old Manor. Previously known as Bonds, from a family that owned it in the 16th Century. It passed to the Clovers in 1586 and to Robert Pocklington in 1755. The title Manor House dates from the early 19th Century at least. The house was later owned by Lieut-General Stracey Smith, Governor of New Brunswick (brother of the Rector John Gee Smyth). His daughter married Rev Henry Sharpe Pocklington and left it to her two sons Colonels George and Frederic.
|The Street, looking West and East. Both views date from between the wars and show the cottage that was built some time after 1899 but demolished some time after 1965 for Aldebarans. The house by Jackdaws Ford and the Maltings are not visible.
|The Peacock Inn. Exact date unknown but possibly 1950s. The shop is clearly active. A Francis Frith photo of 1960 shows the same awning.
This view is from a Francis Frith postcard of 1960. It shows Princhett's and the Old Manor minus the iron railings present in earlier shots.