Chelsworth has lost many houses since records began and others have had their names changed. Some have been lost since the age of photography began, others appear only in the Manor Court Rolls. There is much greater detail on this subject in Bernard Quinlan's 'A Social History of Chelsworth'
|Built by Robert Pocklington between 1750 and 1760 on the site of Mynne's Mansion. Occupied by his family for nearly 150 years. His heirs, as one condition of their succession, were required to live there at least five months in the year, as well as to take the name Pocklington. On this site and across the river stood other fine houses, but he had them, as well as two mills, demolished to accommodate his ambition to live in Chelsworth as a country gentleman. The 'House by the Pound', 'Swallows', the village centre Mill were among the properties demolished. It is possible that the church meadow Alms houses were lost at this time.
|This pair of cottages, known as 'Mouses' - probably a corruption of Mowse's from a former owner, stood across the road from the Rectory and the Peacock Inn. It is mentioned many times in the Court Rolls. Pictured here in 1870, it is visible in at least two other photographs. It was still present for the Ordnance Survey map of 1885 but certainly lost by Edwardian times.
|The Maltings and Smithy, shown here in 1870, were pulled down in 1902 after the death of the last village blacksmith, Daniel Claydon. The Smithy (the small building between the Old Forge and the Maltings) was originally situated on the other side of the road.
|These cottages, always described in the Manor Court Rolls as 'the South Part' and 'the North Part, formerly of Cornelius Clark', were for many years the home of the Gage family. Their butcher's shop can bee seen on the right side of the photograph. The buildings were condemned and demolished in 1937. The photograph to the left is dated 1870.
|This cottage was demolished (sometime after 1879) to make way for the Red House. It was inhabited in 1870 when this photograph was taken. Geoffrey Pocklington, editor of Boy's Own and author of 'Chelsworth - The Story of a little Suffolk village' lived in the Red House for many years. This is the only known photograph of this building.
|These cottages, once in the ownership of the Rudlands, were later the home of Fred and Ada Gosling, and burned down in 1935, as recorded in the East Anglian Daily Times of 29th July 1935 "the fire is believed to have originated through the wind blowing the curtain on to a lighted candle standing on the window sill". It several years later that electricity finally came to Chelsworth. These cottages appear in several photos including the two above which both date from after 1900. The smouldering ruins are shown to the left.
|This large house stood between The Cottage and Jackdaw's Ford. It was inhabited in 1870 (the date of this photograph) and was sold in 1897. It appears in several other photographs. It is clearly missing in a postcard dated 1906 and probably in another dated 1899.
|This is apparently the only image of a lost mansion next to Barrards. The whereabouts of the original photograph are unknown and no further details are available.
|The Bungalow on the Common was inhabited in 1870 when this shot was taken but was 'unoccupied' when destroyed by fire in April 1924. It was probably built by William Raynham in 1814. It and another lost cottage on the Common appear on the Tythe Map of 1839.
This photograph, from approximately 1910 shows the house that stood on the site of the current Aldebarans. It was owned along with the Summer House and the Peacock Inn by the Gage family. This house appears in two or three photographs from 1870 to 1910 but was replaced by another bungalow by the 1930s and again by the present house. The house is no longer called Aldebarans - but River View Cottage.
|Marshes' stood right next to Meadow Cottage on The Street. There was a sweet shop at least in the early 20th Century.
The Abbott family owned condsiderable lands at the West End of the village, including Clovers, the Hall house built by that family in th 15th century. The history of Clovers is complex but well detailed in Heather and Bernard's carefully researched history of the house. The house was artificially divided in two because of inheritance disputes. The north part fell into disrepair and was pulled down around 1800 to be replaced by the row of cottages pictured to the left, in Cakebridge Lane. These are shown in 1870 and were demolished in 1937 to make way for the numbers 1 and 2 Cakebridge Lane.
Others such as Swallows, the Parsonage House, Howletts, the House by the Pound, the Church Meadow Almshouses, Abbott's, Hayward's, Gooding's, Churchman's, Monks, the fulling mill and Mynne’s Mansion are mentioned in the Manor Court Rolls and other records but were lost long before the age of photography.
For more information, as well as detail on the old field names, the old footpaths and more - see Bernard Quinlan’s Social History of Chelsworth. This was never published but is viewable (with maps but no photographs as yet) online here.